DIFP mission statement
The mission of the Missouri Department of Insurance, Financial Institutions and Professional Registration (DIFP) is to efficiently and effectively encourage a fair and open market for consumer service industries.
- Organizational Chart
- 2014 Annual Report
- 2013 Annual Report
- 2012 Annual Report
- 2011 Annual Report
- 2010 Annual Report
- 2009 Annual Report
The department is committed to the following objectives:
- To maintain consumer confidence by examining and monitoring the financial industries and business professionals.
- To protect public interest by establishing coherent and evolving policies that balance the interests of consumers, professionals and industry.
- To effectively enforce state laws and regulations governing business to protect consumers from unfair and inequitable treatment.
- To lower the burdens of regulation and the cost to consumers by increasing efficiencies.
- To encourage a competitive environment for industries and professions that gives consumers access to quality products.
Insurance Consumer Affairs Division
- Helps the public resolve complaints, provides information on insurance policies and investigates insurance fraud.
- Provides insurance education and outreach activities to Missouri consumers.
Insurance Company Regulation Division
- Monitors and analyzes the financial condition, accounting practices and legal compliance of insurance companies licensed in the state through financial examinations.
- Certifies and collects premium taxes due the state.
Insurance Market Regulation Division
- Regulates the performance of insurance companies in the marketplace by reviewing policies, rates, products and marketing strategies.
- Performs market conduct examinations to ensure equitable treatment of policyholders, determine legal compliance and monitor the insurance marketplace.
Division of Finance
- Regulates state-chartered banks, trust companies, savings and loans, consumer-credit companies, credit-services organizations and money-order companies in Missouri.
- Ensures the safety and soundness of financial institutions for Missouri consumers through financial examinations.
- Responds to consumer complaints and provides financial education for Missouri consumers.
Division of Credit Unions
- Regulates state-chartered credit unions through examination, supervision, chartering, merger and liquidation.
- Responds to consumer complaints about credit union services and operations.
Division of Professional Registration
- Licenses qualified professionals, enforcing standards and maintaining an open communication network among over 400,000 individuals and companies.
- Supports 38 professional licensing boards that process applications, administer examinations and conduct investigations into possible professional misconduct.
- Conducts department-wide administrative support functions including accounting, human resources, budget and information systems coordination.
- Licenses insurance agents, surplus lines brokers, public adjusters and bail bond agents.