About the Director
John M. Huff
On Feb. 6, 2009, Gov. Jay Nixon appointed John M. Huff, a native of Potosi, Mo., as director of the Missouri Department of Insurance, Financial Institutions and Professional Registration. John was confirmed by the Missouri Senate on Feb. 19.
An attorney, John leads the department that protects consumers through the regulation of professionals and businesses that impact Missourians’ lives daily. The department regulates more than half a million insurance companies, banks, doctors, nurses and others. He leads a team of 550 employees.
One of his top priorities is using technology to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of license applications, renewals, complaints, enforcement actions and board and commission nominations.
In September 2010, John was appointed to the U.S. Financial Stability Oversight Council by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. He is the only insurance regulator on the council, which was created by the 2010 Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. In this role, John has twice had the privilege of testifying before Congress:
- On April 14, 2011, representing the state of Missouri and the NAIC. Read or watch video of his testimony.
- On July 28, 2011, representing the state of Missouri and the NAIC on the strengths of state-based insurance regulation one year after the passage of Dodd-Frank. Read his testimony.
In November 2012, John was re-elected by his peers as chair of the Midwest Zone of the NAIC, making him a member of the association’s Executive Committee.
John serves as chair of the NAIC Solvency Modernization Initiative Task Force, a critical self-examination and modernization of insurance solvency regulation in the U.S. The task force focuses on capital requirements, international accounting, insurance valuation, reinsurance, and group regulatory issues.
John serves as a director and trustee on several other boards promoting better financial services and education for Missourians:
- Missouri Consolidated Health Care Plan, which provides health insurance coverage for state employees and retirees.
- Missouri Health Insurance Pool, a nonprofit high-risk pool that provides health insurance for Missourians unable to buy affordable coverage because of medical conditions.
- Missouri Council on Economic Education, which promotes economic and financial literacy.
- Alzheimer’s Health State Plan Task Force, which will assess the impact of Alzheimer's and related dementia on Missourians, examine resources and make recommendations.
Before entering public service, John spent 11 years as an executive with leading insurers and reinsurers, including Swiss Re and GE Insurance Solutions. At these companies, John led global teams and was stationed in two different European markets: London and Zurich.
John earned his bachelor's degree in business administration from Southeast Missouri State University. He earned an MBA at Saint Louis University, and his Juris Doctor degree from the Washington University School of Law in St. Louis. He and his wife and daughter live in Columbia.